Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Group Projects - Revisited

This semester marks my beautiful return to school. Not that I haven't been taking classes now for a good 2 years, but I am now taking more than 2 a semester.

Two of my four classes INSIST on multiple group projects. I am really just not the biggest group-project fan. I've had more than one terrible experience, including one where 3 of my 4 group members ABANDONNED THE CLASS without any warning, leaving my 5-man group a duo. I've had to write reports on group members who were completely uncooperative. I've had group members use BABELFISH to translate their work.

The upside - that may also be a downside - is that all of my groups are premade by my professors. Which can be amazing, because if the group is crap, I can bark at my professor with reason. It's particularly awesome in the class that I don't know anyone in. No last-one-chosen-for-the-team for me!

Which brings me to this...

In this particular class, where I have no friends - YET - we have a presentation tonight that was assigned last week. It's a "quick & dirty" presentation, as my professor so willingly dubbed it, and it's worth no more than 5% of my final grade. Totally don't care.

We were split into groups, and my group has 6 other members, making us a petite group of SEVEN PEOPLE. It actually worked out pretty fantastic - everyone volunteered for specific tasks. I am presenting, obviously.

Because we had a week to prepare for this, we all agreed that we would not meet in person (7 people to coordinate is a pain. Even organizing 4 people is tough), and we'd just correspond via email. Sounds normal and fair, right?

WRONG-O.

My group has been sending emails galore. I have responded to a bunch, with QUESTIONS of my own. NOBODY ACKNOWLEDGES MY EMAILS OR ANSWERS THEM.

Prime example:

Since I am presenting, and doing not much else, I've offered at least 5 times to make a Power Point presentation.
"Would anyone like me to make a power point?"
"Do you think we need a power point?"
"Is someone making a power point presentation?"
"Should I make some mock-up slides to work with?"
"CAN SOMEONE ANSWER ME SO I CAN POSSIBLY DO SOMETHING?"

Last night, in one of the group emails, one girl had the NERVE to write
"Also is anyone putting together any audio visual material together?"

To which I threw my laptop across the room, shrieked, and then casually responded, TODAY, that I have no problem making slides, BUT TO PLEASE INFORM ME BY NOON SO I CAN ACTUALLY DO IT.

Nobody has responded yet. It's like I JUST DON'T EXIST.

Meanwhile, it seems like I'll be spending my day brushing up on E. Cora Hind's personal life & biography, so at least I won't look like a total douchebag when I have to present tonight.

1 comment:

rose said...

Успехов, Jackie! That's 'good luck' in Russian (according to WordReference, which is way cooler than BabelFish, note to lazy students everywhere...) I'm sure your presentation will be lovely!