Friday, September 18, 2009

Forever 21 Opens In Town - WHOOPIE DOO

I've only been buzzing about this for MINIMUM ONE YEAR.

The opening came and went two weeks ago, and, in an effort to avoid mobs of 14 year old girls in skinny jeans and heavy eyeliner, I waited until today to make my visit.

Umm, two words: DISAPPOINTMENT and SNORE.

I made the mistake of really REALLY hyping myself up. I scoured the Canadian website [FYI: we Canadians don't get even CLOSE to all the fab stock the U.S. gets, see our website for proof] and made myself like 7 mock-up shopping carts of items I wanted to find and possibly try on/buy. I was reasonable - 3 cardigans, 1 skirt, 1 jumper, a belt and 2 head-accessories. It didn't even cross my mind once that I MAY need a back-up plan - I was looking ideally for some new Jew-Holiday outfits AND some fun wardrobe "essentials". Let's talk about how it was.

Here's the good: I took my sister on a fantastic bonding afternoon of chaotic shopping. Forever 21 has 2 floors of clothes. The upstairs has "fancy" clothes - i.e. the trashy party dresses, endless tutu-style miniskirts, sequins galore. The main floor has everything else. Tons of twelve-by-twelve. Piles of jewelry.

Here's the bad: ON AN EARLY FRIDAY AFTERNOON, WHEN KIDS SHOULD BE IN SCHOOL, THE STORE WAS MOBBED BY TEENAGE "HIPSTERS". Not a single item from my "wish list" was found. 7492 different styles of PLAID SHIRTS [FYI - I am not so into that whole look, yet]. Twelve-by-twelve was TAPPED OUT. Sizes? TAPPED OUT. Jewelry? TAPPED OUT. Belts? LIKE 4 STYLES TOTAL. Oh, did I mention about 50 different varieties of LEGGINGS? 2 FULL sections of THIS loser dress IN EVERY COLOR [it's okay for summer time, and I get its purpose, but it's September and it's already chilly and this dress was STILL FULL PRICE]. Packed dressing rooms. Oh, and NOTHING FROM MY WISH LIST. NOT EVEN THE BELT.

What did I actually end up getting?
This stupid headband, when I really wanted this one.
This necklace - which is admittedly pretty fun, who doesn't love feathers?
A necklace I can't find on either website - faux pearls with big metal flower things - it's cute.
And a huge colorful jeweled cuff bracelet that hurts to put on and hurts to take off... when I really wanted this one.

While I was waiting in line to pay, there were two MAYBE 18 year old French-Canadian girls behind me yapping about getting wasted all weekend. SNORE. Funny part was that they kept making fun of bib necklaces and calling them UGLY and HORRIBLE. IRONY - THOSE ARE SO TRENDY AND HOT AND COOL for fall. Those two morons will be wearing the Urban Behavior knockoffs next fall. They were also saying how once the hype dies down, F21 will be empty. Yeah, right. F21 is NEVER empty.

It was a GIGANTIC disappointment. I'm not even posting links of the things I WANTED that I could not find. Too sad.

Truthfully, one of the surprisingly friendly workers (most were obnoxious and ignored me) told me new stock comes in Mondays/Tuesdays. She also told me that ordering online is a breeze and it comes in 2-3 days. SHOULD'VE TOLD ME THAT LAST WEEK.

As soon as I'm a little more flush (Beyond The Rack.com owns my soul right now), I will probably order those cardigans... along with everything else I missed!!!

4 comments:

Emily said...

fun fact: you can order off the canadian website and return it to the store if it doesn't fit/is uglier in person
and I agree not too pleased with the selection

Jackie said...

but what about their idiotic no-returns policy??

like can i order something and return it for a refund or do they do their bozo "store credit" shit??

i kid you not, i almost cried when i was there. my mom had taken my sister the day after opening and she got LOADS of decent stuff. there was really ZERO to buy, and i normally walk out of a F21 with minimum $200 spent and 15+ items.

Emily said...

Okay well yes their return policy sucks and I am sure the website deal is no different... but I can't imagine this store credit won't be used eventually anyways?
Just bring it along when you go at like 10 am tuesday after restock and before it gets overcrowded

Jackie said...

G-d bless you, precious Emily, for your helpful hints!!!!

As soon as I am not poverty central, I will be placing an order online. :)

[I checked out the return policy - as long as it's not final sale from the web, it can be refunded. AWESOME CENTRAL!!!]